ALL BRITISH FOOD.COM
British Beef Recipes
British Chicken Recipes
British Fish and Seafood Recipes
British Fruit Recipes
British Lamb Recipes
British Offal Recipes
British Pasta and Rice Recipes
British Pork Recipes
British Turkey Recipes
British Vegetable Recipes
British Bread Recipes
British Biscuit Recipes
British Cake Recipes
British Cheesecake Recipes
British Desert Recipes
British Pie Recipes
British Pudding Recipes
British Pickle Recipes
British Jam Recipes
British Chutney Recipes
Welsh Chicken And Leek Pie recipe
Welsh Chicken And Leek Pie
200 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastry
1 large chicken
a little parsley
salt and pepper
6 medium leeks
4 oz (100 g) cooked sliced tongue
egg to glaze
4 tablespoons thick cream
1. Boil the chicken in a large pan with enough water to cover, add the bouquet garni, onion and parsley.
2. Simmer until the chicken is tender.
3. Remove the chicken from the stock and cool.
4. Wash and trim the leeks and cook them in about two-thirds of the stock.
5. Simmer until tender (about 15 minutes).
6. Skin the chicken and remove all the meat from the carcass.
7. Arrange the chicken meat in the bottom of a deep pie dish with a funnel in the centre.
8. Drain the leeks and add to the chicken, reserving the stock.
9. Add the tongue, cut into strips.
10. Pour 300 ml (12 pint) of the stock over the chicken and leeks. Season.
11. Fit the lid to the dish, leaving a hole for the funnel. Glaze with beaten egg.
12. Bake at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7 until the pastry begins to brown, then reduce to 180 - 190°C, 350-375f, mark 4 - 5 for 25 minutes.