This chocolate sponge is quick and easy to make. Chocolate and orange are natural partners.
SERVES 6 - 8
100 g (4 oz) butter
100 g (4 oz) sugar
1 egg, beaten
175 g (6 oz) self-raising flour
30 ml (2 tbsp) cocoa powder
5 ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
175 ml (6 floz) fresh milk
300 ml (10 fl oz) fresh whipping cream
10 ml (2 tsp) orange-flavoured liqueur
grated rind and segments of 1 orange
1. Lightly grease two 15 cm (6 inch) cake tins. Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. Leave to cool for 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat well. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder. Mix the bicarbonate of soda and milk, add slowly to mixture.
2. Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 25 minutes, until cooked and risen.
3. Leave in the tins for 2 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. Whip the cream stiffly. Fold in the liqueur and most
of the orange rind. Use to sandwich the cakes together, reserving a little for the top.
5. Decorate with the remaining cream mixture, orange rind and the segments.