1. To make the pastry, put the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar, then stir in the egg and enough water to bind the mixture together.
2. Knead lightly on a lightly floured surface, then roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use to line a shallow 900 ml (1 1/2 pint) pie dish.
3. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
4. Layer the apples, sultanas, brown sugar, spices and orange rind in the pie dish. Sprinkle with the orange juice.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid, pressing the edges together. Scallop the edges, then make a slit in the centre of the pie.
6. Brush the top with milk to glaze, then bake at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 30 minutes,'until golden brown. Sprinkle the top with caster sugar and serve hot or cold. Accompany with dairy ice cream.