ALL BRITISH FOOD.COM
British Beef Recipes
British Chicken Recipes
British Fish and Seafood Recipes
British Fruit Recipes
British Lamb Recipes
British Offal Recipes
British Pasta and Rice Recipes
British Pork Recipes
British Turkey Recipes
British Vegetable Recipes
British Bread Recipes
British Biscuit Recipes
British Cake Recipes
British Cheesecake Recipes
British Desert Recipes
British Pie Recipes
British Pudding Recipes
British Pickle Recipes
British Jam Recipes
British Chutney Recipes
Bacon Chops With Gooseberry Sauce recipe
At the start of the season gooseberries are too acid and hard to be eaten raw, but are perfect for cooking. Look for thick prime back bacon chops, good for gentle braising.
15 ml (1 tbsp) soft brown sugar
5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder pepper
4 bacon chops, each weighing 175 g (6 oz)
15 g (1/2 oz) butter
1 large onion, skinned and chopped
150 ml (1/4 pint) vegetable stock
100 g (4 oz) gooseberries, topped and tailed
1. Mix together the brown sugar, mustard and pepper and rub into both sides of the bacon chops.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan or flameproof casserole. Cook the onion for 2 minutes, then add the bacon chops, half the stock and the gooseberries. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
3. Remove chops. Puree onions and gooseberries in blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Return the chops and puree to the pan with the remaining stock. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the chops are tender and cooked through.
5. Serve at once with boiled sliced red cabbage.
Bacon Chops With Gooseberry Sauce