ALL BRITISH FOOD.COM
British Beef Recipes
British Chicken Recipes
British Fish and Seafood Recipes
British Fruit Recipes
British Lamb Recipes
British Offal Recipes
British Pasta and Rice Recipes
British Pork Recipes
British Turkey Recipes
British Vegetable Recipes
British Bread Recipes
British Biscuit Recipes
British Cake Recipes
British Cheesecake Recipes
British Desert Recipes
British Pie Recipes
British Pudding Recipes
British Pickle Recipes
British Jam Recipes
British Chutney Recipes
1 1/2 lb (700 g) fresh spinach or 350 g (12 oz) frozen spinach
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
2 onions, skinned and chopped
1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
1/4 cup (40 g) 1 1/2 oz plain wholemeal flour
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried marjoram
salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz (225 g) ricotta or low-fat soft cheese
for the pastry
1 1/4 cups (175 g) 6 oz wholemeal (whole grain) flour
1.25ml (1/4 tsp) salt
65 g (2 1/2 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
1 tbsp (15 ml) milk or beaten egg, to glaze
1. Cook the fresh spinach with just the water that clings to the leaves for about 5 minutes, until wilted.
2. Drain well; set aside. If using frozen spinach, cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
3. MaKe the pastry, put the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the margarine. Stir in 30 ml (2 tbsp cold water and mix to a dough. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
4. Heat the margarine, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour, then gradually add the milk, herbs and seasoning.
6. Bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened, then simmer for 1 minute.
7. Pour about one third of the onion sauce into the base of a 900 ml (1 1/2 pint) pie dish.
8. Arrange a third of the cooked spinach on top and crumble over half the cheese.
9. Repeat, then top with the remaining sauce and a layer of spinach, doming up slightly in the centre.
10. Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface, knead gently and roll out to 5 cm (2 inches) wider than the top of the pie dish.
11. Dampen the rim of the pie dish, then cut a 2.5 cm (1 inch) wide strip from the outer edge of the dough and place it on the dish rim.
12. Brush the pastry rim lightly with water and put on the pastry lid, pressing it down.
13. Flute the edges and decorate with pastry trimmings, if liked.
14. Brush the top of the pie with the milk or beaten egg.
15. Bake at 200°C (400°f) mark 6 for 30 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
Egg and Spinach Pie
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Spinach with Cream and Sherry
Bacon and Spinach Quiche
Spinach and Carrot Terrine
Creamed Spinach and Celery
Spinach and Feta Parcels
Spinach with Almonds
Other Vegetable Recipes
Broad Beans Recipes
Globe Artichoke Recipes
Jerusalem Artichokes Recipes
Purple Sprouting Broccoli Recipes
Runner Beans Recipes
Salsify and Scorzenera Recipes