2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml passata, or 1 x 14 oz (400 g) tin Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
Preheat an oven to 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5.
1. Mix all the ingredients except the tomato puree and cheese together thoroughly and turn into a 2 lb (1 kg) loaf tin.
2. This is only used as a mould and should be turned upside down on to a baking tray. Give it a good tap and lift off.
3. Spread the top of the loaf with the tomato puree and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
4. Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
5. To make the tomato sauce, simply heat all the ingredients together until they reach simmering point. Simmer for 15 minutes, covered, then pour a little of the sauce over the meat loaf. Serve the rest separately.